Absence from school always results in lost learning time. The following procedure has been developed in order to minimize that loss and also to clarify roles and responsibilities.
- All students absences should be called in to the school by a parent or guardian as early as possible on the morning of the absence. Office staff f will call home to check on unreported absences.
- Requests for homework will be honored within 24 hours for students in grades 6, 7 and 8. Fifth grade requests will be handled by the teacher.
- Extended absences due to illness or accident should be reported to the school nurse. The nurse will notify the teacher(s) and a plan for make-up work will be developed.
- Classwork missed due to absence should be made up on a schedule arranged with the teacher in grades 5 & 6. Students in grades 7 & 8 will be required to make up work on a day for day basis, e.g. 1 day absence, 1 day to make up work; 5 day absence, 5 days to make up work. Make-up sessions will occur separate from the regular classtime.
- Families planning on taking a vacation when school is in session must contact the principal 3 weeks in advance. The teacher(s) will then be contacted and asked to propose a plan for make-up work. The teachers will also provide an updated grade report prior to the absence. It is important to note that some instructional activities may be impossible to make up.